It’s ideal for all the family
- shrimp fishing
- cockle fishing (cockle fishing decree )
- sea fishing
- coastal foraging: samphire, sea orach etc.
Please fish and forage responsibly to protect the local resources and ecosystem.
PLAN YOUR OUTING:
Rules apply to different kinds of fishing so you need to:
– tide times
– check which decrees are in force on the date you plan to visit
– check the weather to bring the right equipment
– prepare your equipment (subject to shellfish)
Some fishing tips:
- for cockles: find two little holes side by side, scrape with a three-pronged scraper and only pick cockles over 3cm
- for razor clams: find a small hole, drop some coarse salt in and they’ll come out on their own… you just need to catch them.
- for shrimp fishing: start 1-2 hours before low tide and whilst the tide is out.
- for samphire foraging: cut with a knife and don’t take more than 500g/day/person
You can spend an hour or day having a go at surfcasting and sea fishing. Sylvain Labbé is the only fishing coach/guide in the Baie de Somme area. He takes care of everything, you just have to enjoy yourself 😉
Prohibition and legislation:
– Saint-Valery-sur-Somme : prohibited from the port to Cap Hornu
– Cayeux-sur-Mer : prohibited in the bathing area and boardwalk
– Boat fishing and surfcasting: prohibited in bathing areas from June 15th to September 15th (1992 Water Act)
– blog with complete recommendations and current regulations